Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Can You See Him in the Crowd?

When I first fell in love with Curt, I loved to think about him all the time. I wondered if the next phone call would be from him. When we had a date planned, I spent much time deciding what I would wear. When I walked into a crowded room where I knew he would be, I searched through the crowd until my eyes fell on him. Everyone else was a blur; my eyes were searching for the one I loved most.

Are you really in love with God? This world is so crowded with things that would distract us from God, but are you searching for Him in the midst of the crowd? The tendency of our flesh is to do the opposite. Instead of the world being a blur to us until we lay our eyes on Jesus, in actuality God is a blur to us because there are so many other things to take our minds off of Him. God knows how vulnerable we are. God knows that most of the world does not follow Him, so most of the influence around us tends to distract us away from Him. No wonder God inspired the Apostle Paul to write to the church "pray continually" (1 Thes. 5:17). That means we should always be talking to God and making Him a part of our entire day, i.e. while your driving or working or shopping, etc. When other thoughts want to distract you, turn your thoughts back on Jesus. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Mat. 22:37)

Love doesn’t stay strong on it’s own. It needs to be nurtured. You must nurture the love you have for God or the flame will die down and eventually be extinguished completely. God’s love for you will never die, but His love means nothing to you unless you love Him too. If I loved Curt, but he didn’t love me, our marriage would fall apart. We could still share a house, but there would not be a real marriage. In the same way, you can still attend church, but only you and God know if you are really in love with Him or if the love is just one-sided. "Come near to God and He will come near to you." (James 4:8)

Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great thought. I want to love the Lord more each day. Mar

Mary Beth said...

Awesome Word and analogy, Anne.
It has challenged me today.